Tuesday 1 July 2014

The build up to quitting sugar


So i have decided to quit sugar, I have read the facts, and now I want to reap the rewards, but... how on earth do I go about doing this? In the IQS and IQS4Life books, Sarah (the author) provides some very handy hints and tips about preparing to and living on  a sugar free diet. Such as creating a freezer stash of par-cooked and frozen veggies (CLEVER!).  AND in the back of her book she has a really handy section called "the shopping list" which provides all the ingredients you will ever need to follow her recipes. SO handy.

So I spent the next few weeks analysing the recipes in both of her books, and the shopping list at the back and decided to bulk buy food that she seems to use a lot of in her recipes:
  • Ground almonds to be used as a substitute for "normal" flour in some recipes
I found it SO much cheaper to buy in bulk - although this was a juicy one off payment, it should last me for AGES and I am definitely benefiting from economies of scale here!I am all about shopping on a budget (I am a student!)

After spending my whole evening (and what a bloomin good evening it was) on her website, and reading through the IQS books, I found some other money saving tips. FARMERS MARKETS. there are so many in Kent, I had no idea. They are a really cheap way to get fresh organic produce from local farmers. So you are doing two good things: benefiting your body, whilst  helping your local farmers.

So off I went to the Hildenborough farmers market. It was a bit of a treck, but I am on annual leave and I fancied a day out (luckily there are ones closer to me). here is what I have purchased from the farmers market today: 



Such a bargain, i think I spent about £7 on all of this FRESH, ORGANIC produce!

Next thing to chat about is meat - preferably organic, but this is not always possible - I love to shop at Morrisons, because everything they sell is clearly labelled and it almost has the "market" feel to it anyway. Check the labels - make sure it is 100% pure mince for example. I also made sure it was sourced from the UK. I am still a poor student so I couldnt quite stretch to organic, but I did stretch to a higher welfare chicken, which made me feel good (especially as it was so cheap - £1.74) I bought two, and am freezing one.





I also got some extra cheap veggies from morrisons - ones which I couldnt find at the farmers market such as peppers, and lemons & limes.

So now I have all my ingredients, I think I am ready to quit sugar.



 

1 comment:

  1. Hi I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts! My friend bought me the IQS book last week as a belated birthday gift, as she know the struggle I have with food, let alone sugar. As recent ex-student, I love reading your experience of the quitting sugar. I'm also a fellow Brit so am glad to see some familiar brands in the pic, I live in Southeast London (not quite Kent) and really want to benefit from the economies of scale of buying the wholefoods in bulk. Could you please tell me where you purchased them?

    And congrats again on how far you have got with quitting sugar! :)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete