Tuesday 1 July 2014

Why I'm quitting sugar

Firstly, a bit about me...
I am a PhD student at City University and I am studying cognitive and behavioural biases in women with postnatal mental health difficulties. It is really exciting and I am loving it! I live in Kent, with my boyfriend in a small but comfy flat right next to a train station-which is handy!

Why I want to quit sugar?
Well it all started about 4 months ago, in April, when the shops were bringing out their summer clothes. I got excited! VERY excited. I went into Primark (my fave hangout joint) and found a lovely bikini - wowowow LOVE IT, such a bargain. So i bought it. I tried it on and thought to myself good god I look fat. lets clear this I know im not overweight, but I am untoned - very untoned. I looked awful. so bad I took a picture to spur me on to do something about it.

"I know" I thought "I will start exercising", yeah cool. So i tried, but I just never had the energy to do it. "Okay" i thought to myself "maybe I need to start eating a bit better". I have never eaten AWFULLY, but I am keen on chocolate and sweets (anything sugary!!!). Well that lasted maybe a day because I felt like I was restricting myself. so far its all been a big failure.

Then i was at work, being a bit naughty and browsing the daily mail (hate to love to read it), and I came across some excerpts from Sarah Wilson's I quit sugar book. "Wow these look interesting". So I went home and bought the original book, and her newer I quit sugar for life book. When they arrived I was excited - the recipes looked amazing, and she had provided some really interesting and insightful facts about food.

On page 12 of her book Sarah asks
  • Do you get an energy slump in the afternoon?
  • Do you need something sweet after meals
  • Does your stomach get bloated after eating?
  • Are you unable to eat just one piece of cake and walk away?
  • Are you podgy around the middle, perhaps even slim everywhere else?
  • Do you often feel unclear? That you're not always sharp and on form?
If so, then quitting sugar may just work for you.

I answered a resounding YES to all of these questions!

I want to loose my jelly belly, I want more energy, I want to be able to concentrate, I want to be like those lithely slim healthy looking glowing people I see walking down (some) streets. I WANT TO QUIT SUGAR.

so i decided lets give it a go, lets see if it makes me feel any better. maybe it will, maybe it wont. but i hope it does. it makes sense that it will.

I have decided to keep this blog for a record of what I am doing, how well I am doing it, and how well I feel. I am going to aim to write everyday so i do not have to rely too heavily on my memory about how I am feeling. As a psychology student I know how dodgy memory can be!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment